Tuyen Linh Pagoda

Tuyen Linh Pagoda was built in the Tan Dau Lunar year (year of Chicken,
1861), the Tu Duc 14th year of Reign, on the Tan Huong Ditch in Minh
Duc Commune, Mo Cay District. The Pagoda is a place of many remarkable historic
events. At first, it was named Tien Linh Pagoda, and later renamed Tuyen Linh.

From its first year in 1861,
the Pagoda was presided over by Superior Buddhist Monk Khanh Phong. In 1907,
Khanh Phong was replaced by Monk Le Khanh Hoa, or Thich Nhu Tri as religious
name, a senior Buddhist scholar from Phu Le Commune, Ba Tri District. Le Khanh
Hoa was also the founder of the Cochinchine Buddhist Society and the Luong Xuyen
Society of Buddhists, including many senior monks and nuns from all over the
Cochinchine. He was also Chief editor of the Tu Bi Am Magazine (The Sound
of Mercy).

In 1930, the pagoda was
renovated for the first time, and was renamed Tuyen Linh by Monk Le Khanh Hoa.

According to the Party History
Research Committee of Dong Thap province, around the end of 1926, Doctor Nguyen
Sinh Sac, father of President Ho Chi Minh, came and stayed at Tuyen Linh Pagoda
for a period of time. During his staying here under the care and guard by Monk
Le Khanh Hoa, he taught and gave medical care to local people. He had contacts
with Tran Van An, Huynh Khac Man, and Le Van Phat, who later became the first
generation of Ben Tre Party Committee membership.

In his last days, Monk Le Khanh
Hoa mobilized Buddhist monks and believers in the province to take part in
revolutionary activities. In 1947, he fell ill out of high age. He dictated his
will for his disciple to record, gave advisce to and arranged works for his
disciples, ordered them to continue to mobilize local people and Buddhist
believers to join the revolution and fight foreign invaders. He passed away on
June 19, 1947.

In 1956, in commemorating the
truly patriotic Monk, the Sangha Society (Buddhist Monastic Community) and all
his disciples restored the funeral and cremation ceremonies at Tuyen Linh
Pagoda.

In the resisting wars against
the French and American invasions, Tuyen Linh Pagoda played an important role as
a shelter for Ben Tre revolutionary leaders.

On July 20, 1994, Tuyen Linh
Pagoda was recognized the national historical-cultural relic at the Decision
921-QD/BT issued by the Ministry of Culture and Information.

Similar By Terms